Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why Not Just Get Baptized?

I know this topic is offensive to many, and that some of you may not even get past the title. But if you are still reading I want to know: why is baptism offensive? Please believe me, I really want to understand. Why is the topic of baptism so bothersome?

If baptism is when we die to sin (Romans 6:2-5), and if it is when we become clothed with Christ (Galatians 3:27), and if it saves us (I Peter 3:21, Mark 16:16) then why not do it? Why not preach it?

Isn’t it kind of like when Elisha told Naaman to go dip in the Jordan if he wanted to be healed and Naaman got mad and left? In the story Naaman’s servant says “Wouldn’t you have done some great thing if he had asked? Why won’t you go when he says ‘wash and be clean’?” (2 Kings 5:1-14) Jesus said, “If you love Me, you will obey Me.” (John 14:15)

So why are we always trying to get out of it? Why not just do it? The Ethiopian Eunuch asked, “What’s to stop me?” (Acts 8:36) Ananias asked Saul, “Why do you delay? Get baptized.” (Acts 22:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment